I talk about muscle testing a lot when describing PSYCH-K® to people, and it's one of those things that's become such a normal part of my life, that I forget many people don't know what it is.
What is muscle testing?
Muscle testing is an easy and effective way to communicate directly with our subconscious mind. It can be useful in:
- Uncovering limiting beliefs
- Discovering how we self sabotage
- Determining priorities (I use muscle testing for everything from determining which beliefs to work on first, to which tasks in my business are the top priorities)
This website has a great list of ideas for using muscle testing.
How does muscle testing work?
When the mind is holding a stressful thought, a conflict is created in the mind and the signal strength to the body is reduced, which results in a weaker muscle response. This happens when a person makes a statement with which the subconscious mind disagrees. It's kind of like your own personal polygraph, using your body.
It's fantastic because you've got it with you at all hours of the day.
Many ways to muscle test
It would require a full blog post with videos to explain all the details. Here's a quick list of how to muscle test alone, with yourself:
- Finger circle. Make a ring with two fingers on one hand; use a finger on the second hand to break the ring. If you can't break the ring, it's a “strong” response; if you break the ring, it's “weak.”
- Rub two fingers together. A smooth response is “strong”; a sticky response is “weak.”
- Stand and sway. You may sway forward for “strong”; backward for “weak”…or vice versa.
- Pendulum. The pendulum may swing forward/backward, side to side, or clockwise/counter clockwise.
With practice, you'll find the best way for you to muscle test with yourself. I started out using the pendulum, and now I use a combination of that and the finger circle technique. It took me a while to find the best fingers to use for that one, and now that I've found it, the technique works perfectly. I use my middle finger and thumb to create the circle.
With others, it's just as easy. The most common method is to ask your partner to stretch out their arm, while you push down on their wrist. They'll need to be sure that their chin is parallel to the floor, eyes looking down. Here's a great video with Rob Williams, the creator of PSYCH-K, demonstrating how muscle testing is used in PSYCH-K®. The muscle testing starts just 20 seconds into the video.
How to get started
Select one of the self muscle testing methods above (and do a bit more research on them so that it's absolutely clear how to use each method) and test the following:
- My name is [your correct name]. This should test “strong.”
- My name is [a random name, preferably of another gender]. This should test “weak.”
If you find this as fascinating as I do, there's plenty of information online about muscle testing. A quick search will turn up articles and videos.
Video: How to self muscle test
How to use muscle testing in your business
Muscle testing has been such an important part of my life in recent years, that I wrote a book on how to test your subconscious beliefs around business. It's called Business Beliefs, and you can get it online.
What about you?
Have you ever played around with muscle testing? Do you use it in your daily life? Please share in the comments.
Do you have limiting self-beliefs?
Most people don’t know that they do or how it’s holding them back.
The answer is to fix your mindset. It’s not hard, but if one doesn’t know how, then getting to the right mental place to break down those barriers can be a challenge.
This book is the answer.